Time To Prepare!
The winter season officially hits on the calendar very soon. So, it’s time to prepare your home for the weather ahead. A few simple steps, most of which you can do yourself, will save you money and protect your property. Here is our annual list:
Who doesn’t like saving money?
- Have your furnace inspected – your local fuel company offers this service annually and it is well worth the expense to ensure everything is in good working order.
- Check your roof – take a close look for damaged or missing shingles before the bad weather. It will be easier to get them repaired now than after you have a leak!
- Caulk around windows and doors to save on your heating bill.
- Reverse your ceiling fans – if you have ceiling fans in your home, most have a reverse switch. The fan’s blade should be set to run in a clockwise direction during the winter months.
- Clean your gutters to prevent leaks and ice dams during winter storms.
- Make sure downspouts are clear and diverted at least 3-4 feet from your home’s foundation.
- Turn off exterior faucets, drain water from the pipes and turn off the shut-off valve inside your home if you do not have frost proof faucets.
- Call a professional to drain your lawn sprinkler system.
- Test your sump pump to be sure it is in working order.
- Have your chimney and vents cleaned for the season.
- Winterize your mower and get out your snowblower to make sure it is operating properly.
- Stock up on your winter essentials – do you need a new shovel? rock salt? Get them now while the stores have them in stock.
Now your home is well prepared for whatever winter may bring!